As a hub of creativity, arts and technology for the San Francisco bay area community and beyond, the Children’s Creativity Museum is committed to connecting families and children with innovative thinkers, makers and designers. We cordially invite kid oriented start-ups, inventors, designers and tinkerers to apply to be a part of our innovators workshop program. Participants in this program will have the opportunity to share their creations and ideas with our visitors, gain feedback via user testing and run workshops that introduce visitors to these new products, technologies and concepts. Participants also have the opportunity to collaborate with and gain input from our Education and Exhibit teams, drawn from our work with 60,000 visitors each year.
Email Jill Slagter, the Education and Innovation Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your responses to the following questions:
- What is the name of your company/team?
- Tell us a little about yourselves (background, story, why you are designing for kids?)
- What is the product/concept/app you are interested in testing at the Innovation lab?
- Tell us about it/who (and what ages) it is designed for?
- What month(s) would you be interested in testing? During the school year, the Innovators Lab is open on Saturdays from 12:00-2:00.
- In addition to the user testing in the Lab, some groups also run hands on workshops for kids. These have included workshops in storytelling, game design and design thinking and even brainstorms for new app ideas. Would you be interested in leading a weekend workshop?
Innovation Lab requirements
- Your app, toy or game should be appropriate for kids within the 3-12 year old age range. (Does not have to be relevant to all ages in that range).
- Your app should not utilize consumable virtual goods, in-game advertising or contain inappropriate content.
- While we encourage participants to view their time in the lab as an opportunity to evangelize and share their concept with our visitors, please make sure that you are offering ways for visitors to provide feedback and share their ideas. (i.e. create less of a promotional ‘hard-sell’ booth and more of a mobile user testing/focus group experience).
- We welcome companies and teams at all stages of the design process. Please be aware that our audience is primarily under 12 years old, so make sure you have an experience (product testing, brainstorming, bug finding) that is engaging. If you are in the early stages of development, consider crowd sourcing our visitors for story, game and interaction ideas.
We do not charge for participating in this program, but we encourage our Innovation partners to consider making a donation to the museum. Donations could take the form of a monetary contribution, an artifact (IOS devices with your app loaded on them, samples of your product for our “Game Library”, etc) or donating your time to support our youth and families via hackathons, workshops and mentoring.